Diet for Acid Reflux
When it comes to gastro esophageal reflux disease (GERD) or acid reflux, diet and nutrition plays a very important role. Eliminating the triggers is the most important key to control GERD and studies suggest eating low-fat, high-protein meals can help alleviate the symptoms and keep the discomfort at bay.
GERD DIET RECOMMENDATIONS
Does Food Influence GERD?
What you eat can affect the amount of acid production in your stomach. Some foods have a tendency to produce more acid that can directly irritate the esophagus. Symptoms of reflux occur when the acid in the stomach moves back into the esophagus due to a damaged or weak lower esophageal sphincter (LES). Making diet changes, eliminating foods that trigger and following a healthy lifestyle is all you need to control your symptoms or discomfort.
- It is advisable to eat plenty of vegetables in GERD, food should be in small portions. Preferably consume bitter and pungent vegetables such as bitter gourd, fenugreek, sprouts and radish leaf, bottle gourd, squash, asparagus, carrot and green beans.
- We recommend to steam-cook vegetables, rather than eating them raw, to improve digestion.
- Oat meal, ginger, aloe vera, banana, melons, fennel, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, green beans, celery, parsley, Couscous (semolina wheat), bulgur wheat, and rice (especially brown rice)
- Have yoghurt and probiotics
Aliments à consommation modérée:
Avoid or minimize nightshades such as potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, peppers and berries which may clog the micro channels of the body.
Aliments à éviter:
- Avoid cold food, sweets and food heavy to digest as they are known to create more internal toxins. Fruit juices and very sweet fruits such as grapes should also be avoided.
- Avoid leftovers, frozen or preserved food as they are harder to digest than fresh foods
- Avoid caffeine, nicotine, alcohol and carbonated beverages.
- Avoid processed and junk foods and refined flours.
- Avoid breads, biscuits and pastas, aged cheese, mushrooms and peanuts.
- Avoid fermented foods such as vinegar and products that contain fermented foods as ingredients
- Avoid garlic, onion and spicy food
Freshly expressed curry leaf juice with lime and sugar is an effective remedy to overcome symptoms of GERD, this mixture is also beneficial in morning sickness, nausea and vomiting. One or two teaspoons of this juice should be taken 2-3 times daily.
Dr Khyati Dave is a licensed Homeopathy Physician and Nutritional Consultant. With Biogetica, she has witnessed many patients, who had otherwise given up hope, heal faster supplemented by our natural methods. She considers consulting Biogetica patients her primary responsibility and honour. She often writes about nutrition, natural treatment methods and diet. Her mission is to apply her medical talents to help each patient heal faster and do her best to give the immunity of patients with so called ‘incurable’ diseases a fighting chance.